Exploring the Qur'an
A compulsory course for all Muslims, this course will provide students an opportunity to really spend more time with the Quran. Not just in recitation but on reflection of the key themes and messages of the Quran.
During this single weekend course students will explore the Quran and walk away with a clearer picture of what our lord Allah (SWT) has said to us. Let Allah’s words soothe you and guide you. Let His words soften your heart so that your supplications during Ramadan will be more heart-felt. Let his instructions guide you throughout your life.
This intensive course will provide a summative overview of the structure, themes and the key messages provided in selected chapters and surahs of the Quran. This will be achieved through systematically covering the surahs with the following in mind:
• How surah names are related to each Surah and the historical context of its revelations (Asbab al-Nuzul).
• Inter-textual relationship and coherence (Nazm) between the verses of each Surah and the relationship with the preceding/following Surah.
• Cross-reference to other parts of the Qur’an to demonstrate how ‘the Qur’an explains the Qur’an.
• Discussion on linguistic and stylistic devices (Balaghah), problems with translation/ interpretation and alternative plausible interpretations.
• Explanation of key passages in each Surah.
• Practical guidance and lessons that can be derived from each Surah.
• Key stories and messages of the Qur`an
• This course will, InshAllah, enrich one’s understanding of the Divine Revelation.
For each of the surahs the following will be covered:
• Names of surah
• No. of verses
• Period of revelation - historic contextualisation
• Virtues of the surah
• Overview of the surah
• Major points
• Important lessons from the surah ]
Mode of delivery:
Different lecturers will deliver using varying delivery methods, but generally the surahs will be covered systematically as a lecture. There will be opportunities after every session for students to get engaged by asking questions.
• have an overview of each of the surahs of the Qur`an and the context of their revelation.
• learn how to apply the teachings of the Qur`an in our daily lives.
• have an insight into the different methodologies adopted to propagate the message.
• learn about the people and prophets of the past, and derive lessons from their lives
• have an insight into Classical Tafsir (scholarly discourse)