Tafsir Tahlili - The Quran Unveiled
This course focuses on the language, grammar and structure of the Qur’an. It also highlights the key messages and lessons of the selected chapters of the Quran and demonstrates their contemporary relevance.
The ability to independently translate the Qur’an into English will also be a key feature of the course as well as being acquainted with the theme of the selected chapters.
The course will also include looks at various aspects of the science of Divine revelation, how the Qur`an was revealed, preserved, compiled and transmitted through generation after generation.
Students must complete the Arabic Intensive programme or its equivalent, or demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills.
Students should be able to operate in an Arabic medium class.
Recommended prior study
- Familiarity with Qur’anic Arabic
- Study of the translation of the Qur’an
- The Qur’an programme at Ebrahim College or equivalent
- Content of the Qur’an through the study of a course such as RQI.
75 hours (30 weeks)
This module is a unit in a comprehensive package of modules covering various Islamic sciences including hadith, tafsir, fiqh, aqidah and Arabic literature taught in the Alimiyyah 1 programme.
The following will be covered in this course:
- Surah Yaseen, Waqiah, Mulk, Sajdah, Kahf, Yusuf, al-Hujraat, Kafiruun, Ikhlaas, Falaq, Naas.
With respect the mentioned surahs, the following will be covered:
- Grammatical analysis of selected verses that have complex or advanced structures;
- Commentary of verses with a view to understanding the general themes of surah content, the correct meaning and context of verses, and any asbab al-nuzool.
- Key messages and lessons of the Qur’an.
The course will also briefly touch upon the different sciences and aspects related to Quranic studies. The following will be discussed:
• Its revelation.
• Its collection.
• Its order and arrangement.
• It’s writing down.
• Information about the reasons and occasions of revelation.
• About what was revealed in Makkah and what in Madinah.
• About the abrogating and abrogated verses.
• About the 'clear' and the 'unclear' verses.
• The term also covers Qur'an-related studies, such as:
• The explanation of verses and passages by the Prophet himself, his Companions, their followers and the later exegetes of the Qur'an.
• The methods of explanation.
• The scholars of exegesis and their books.
Students will be able to:
- Understand and explain the grammatical structure of Qur’anic language i.e. i’rab of its sentences;
- Demonstrate an accurate understanding of the basic meaning of a verse with essential exegetical commentary;
- Demonstrate awareness of any discussions surrounding verses of a juristic, socio-political nature or show cotemporary relevance of verses;
- Demonstrate knowledge of how Arabic words are used in a Qur’anic context and relate that to its etymology and contemporary use;
- Linguistically analyse the text and independently translate it accurately in to English.
This subject has cross-curricular links with almost all other subjects at this level; fiqh, seerah, nahw, sarf, usul al-fiqh etc. Where appropriate the cross-curricular links will be pointed out and students will be challenged to identify them.
Teaching and learning
Staff/Student contact time: 50%
Student private study: 50%
- Through a collective summary of the chapters covered
- End of module exam (written) – contributes 20% to the final grade.
Abdel Haleem, Muhammad A.S, The Qur’an (Oxford: Oxford Press, 2010).
Hoosen Elias, Afzal, Qur’an Made Easy – Arabic and English (Karachi, Zamzam Publishers, 2007).
Ali al-Sabuni, Muhammad, Safwah al-Tafaasir(Location: al- Maktabah al – waqfiyyah, 2011).
Al-Zuhaili, Wahbah, Al-Tafseer al-Wajeez, (Location: Dar al-Fikr al-Mua’sir, 1997).
Mohar Ali, Muhammad, A Word for Word Meaning of the Qur’an (Ipswich: Jam'iat 'Ihyaa' Minhaaj al-Sunnah, 2002).
Omar, Abdul Mannan, Dictionary of the Holy Qur’an, (USA: Noor Foundation International, Inc., 2010).
Al-Asfahani, Mufradat al-Qur’an, (Lebanon: Al-Maktaba al-‘Asriyyah, 2012).
Asbab al-Nuzool, al-Shahristani
Islam Awakened, Qur’an, accessed on Wednesday 12th June 2013, http://www.islamawakened.com/quran/